One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) not recognized as a citizen of any country.‘thousands were made stateless by enforcement of the citizenship act’
- ‘Many were political fugitives from their own countries, and, as stateless people, they naturally turned against the very idea of a state.’
- ‘He has been refused visas in Australia, but cannot return to India because the government doesn't recognise his nationality - making him a stateless person.’
- ‘On 6 August, the High Court found that the Migration Act authorised the Australian government to detain stateless people indefinitely, regardless of the prospect of ever being able to deport them.’
- ‘The facts are that at a time of international conflict, a tiny proportion of stateless people on the move will hit our shores.’
- ‘But during the political upheavals she found herself a stateless person and was granted British citizenship, though she still returns to Malawi from time to time to visit her family.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.