One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) not recognized as a citizen of any country.‘thousands were made stateless by enforcement of the citizenship act’
- ‘Many were political fugitives from their own countries, and, as stateless people, they naturally turned against the very idea of a state.’
- ‘He has been refused visas in Australia, but cannot return to India because the government doesn't recognise his nationality - making him a stateless person.’
- ‘On 6 August, the High Court found that the Migration Act authorised the Australian government to detain stateless people indefinitely, regardless of the prospect of ever being able to deport them.’
- ‘But during the political upheavals she found herself a stateless person and was granted British citizenship, though she still returns to Malawi from time to time to visit her family.’
- ‘The facts are that at a time of international conflict, a tiny proportion of stateless people on the move will hit our shores.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.