Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The status of being a recognized independent nation.‘their aspirations for independent statehood have been consistently frustrated’
- ‘The notions of statehood, community and national allegiances are all held up for examination, and he is especially scathing about the development of the British Empire.’
- ‘Ukrainian peasants turned inwards as centralized power broke down, yet their identification with the Ukrainian nation was strengthened as a result of independent statehood.’
- ‘The film is narrated against the backdrop of the tribal movement in the Jharkhand region in the 1980s demanding an identity for the community and claiming statehood of their own.’
- ‘When World War I and the Russian revolution shattered the Habsburg and Russian empires, Ukrainians declared independent statehood.’
- ‘In fact, the labour movement was the major driving force in the struggle for statehood and independence.’
- ‘Is nationality or statehood a more profound contemporary concept than tradition?’
- ‘Issues of national identity and statehood shaped attitudes to common defence.’
- ‘Their aspirations for independent statehood has been consistently frustrated since the days of the Ottoman Empire.’
- ‘The struggle to achieve statehood for a given nation was the driving force behind nineteenth-century nationalism.’
- ‘Western Province leaders have given the Solomons Island government one year to recognise their statehood, or they will declare independence.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.