Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device which can be in one of a set number of stable conditions depending on its previous condition and on the present values of its inputs.
- ‘A memory control circuit for controlling a memory bus and a memory includes buffers, counters, data transfer circuits, and a bus arbiter having a state machine.’
- ‘In order to be as flexible as possible, and not to limit the programmer to a set of predefined conditions, the packet-filtering engine is actually implemented as a state machine running a user-defined program.’
- ‘A host interface block performs the interlace signaling, while the state machine handling the Task File operations is located in the Transport layer State Machine.’
- ‘GNU Bayonne 2 solves this by pushing the state machine into the core server and making it fully abstract through C + + class extension.’
- ‘In addition, the analog-to-digital converter includes a state machine operable to receive outputs from the comparators and generate a digital output value.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.