One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lawyer representing a state in court, especially in a criminal proceeding.
- ‘If you don't get a satisfactory response, take it to a higher authority; write your state's attorney general and spread the word about your dissatisfaction so other consumers are informed.’
- ‘As you probably know from being a state's attorney, when you're in the corrections department, court has nothing more to do with it.’
- ‘A former Prince George's County, Maryland, assistant state's attorney and a native of that county, Smathers specializes in civil litigation.’
- ‘Steve Ferguson, the state's attorney in Coles County, said he would seek the death penalty in a murder trial scheduled to begin January 27.’
- ‘Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney joined the state's attorney general in immediately opposing the court's decision and stating his support for civil unions rather than full marriage.’
- ‘His father had been the state's attorney general.’
- ‘After his discharge, he served as an assistant U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Illinois and later was an assistant state's attorney for Cook County.’
- ‘The state's attorney general has assured Floridians that he's going to crack down on such.’
- ‘Smith encouraged the state's attorneys to file their briefs in the appeals court quickly so the appeal can be settled.’
- ‘The meat inspectors' union, in its petition last spring to Washington state's attorney general, contended that federal agents are ‘often prevented from carrying out’ the mandate against animal cruelty.’
- ‘We're joined now by the Montgomery County's chief prosecutor, the state's attorney, Doug Gansler.’
- ‘No wonder the state's attorney went after him for manslaughter.’
- ‘As that state's attorney general, he opposed school desegregation.’
- ‘One complaint was redirected to another state's attorney general's office.’
- ‘Richard Blumenthal, the state's attorney general, is even appealing to undo the Eastern Pequots' recognition.’
- ‘Over the objections of the state's attorney general, last year the legislature lessened penalties for nonviolent felonies, including meth possession.’
- ‘Janet Reno had no political record, other than being a state's attorney in Dade County many years.’
- ‘In fact, in arguing before the Montana Supreme Court, the the state's attorney general tried to make it an argument for retaining the sodomy law that no one had been arrested under it for decades.’
- ‘When Briggs u Elliott convened, the state's attorneys expressed a willingness to equalize resources.’
- ‘The state's attorney general has the authority to regulate firearms like any other consumer product, bypassing the state's legislature.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.