Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A shaped rigid block for bracing the feet of a runner at the start of a race.‘they will take their mark on official Olympic starting blocks’figurative ‘only six of a planned twenty hotels are off the starting blocks’‘negotiations are not off the starting blocks yet’
- ‘Charles Booth, inventor of the runner's starting blocks, and the oldest competitor in a class all of his own, at this week's World Masters Games.’
- ‘For England had come slowly out of the starting blocks and been overwhelmed by a spirited German opening salvo.’
- ‘York is on the starting blocks to play a leading role in the great Olympics extravaganza - after heavyweight backing from Lord Coe.’
- ‘Businesses, meanwhile, have raced out of the starting blocks and become more forceful players in this recovery.’
- ‘John Bonham said Laois County Council were one of the first County Councils off the starting blocks to look after the needs of the travelling community.’
- ‘Sunday's 35-point loss to Indianapolis looked like a track meet with the Texans mostly stuck in the starting blocks.’
- ‘Scottish companies that hoped to reap the benefits of London's bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games appear to have been left on the starting blocks.’
- ‘He's not the quickest out of the starting blocks.’
- ‘For example, look at the chaps lining up at the starting blocks for the 100m final at any Olympics.’
- ‘It is moments before the race begins and eight Olympic finalists prepare themselves behind the starting blocks.’
- ‘One guy is in the starting blocks ready to burst forward.’
- ‘Alison Sheppard also added a silver medal to the bronze she won earlier - though she had to swim the 50m freestyle final twice to do it after a problem with one of the starting blocks on the first run through.’
- ‘The first initiative off the starting blocks is a joint venture with former Olympic hurdler and sprinter Kriss Akabusi.’
- ‘A Brentwood church and school are already on the starting blocks for the Olympic Games by hosting their own themed event.’
- ‘Cameras flashed and the fans got to their feet when Jones made her way to the starting blocks.’
- ‘Even the much despised Robbie Savage is no slouch out of the starting blocks but then that's only to prevent himself from getting a pasting.’
- ‘In contrast, Australia used the event as a starting block for its Olympic campaign.’
- ‘Macclesfield have stumbled out of the starting blocks and languish in 17th spot after taking six points from six games.’
- ‘By the time these athletes reached the starting blocks they had to have their bodies and mind in racing state - ready to push themselves for about eight minutes.’
- ‘Still only 19, the Nike-sponsored sprinter will be a relative baby in the starting blocks at the birthplace of the Olympic Games.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.