Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A set of articles or equipment providing the items and instructions essential for someone taking up a particular activity or starting a process for the first time.‘a complete starter kit to get you going’
- ‘Working on commission the consultant is trained in by professional beauticians and is given a cosmetics starter kit.’
- ‘People interested in setting up a Neighbourhood Watch are given a starter pack and leaflets to post through neighbours' doors and gauge interest’
- ‘Did I mention that the other night I went into HMV and bought the DVD starter kit?’
- ‘Given a one year grant for a housing project, provision of utilities and a starter pack for 30 young homeless people.’
- ‘A starter pack explains what information needs to be collected and recorded, and contains the forms which need to be completed after a dive.’
- ‘If you want to set yourself up with a snake, a hatchling starter kit will set you back about £70.’
- ‘Once registered your organisation will receive a starter pack with the training cards, multimedia CD-Rom, leaflets and posters.’
- ‘Only those accepted at this stage will be able to purchase the starter kit, which comprises a PS2 network adapter, USB voice headset and a special online-only version of military action title SOCOM: US Navy SEALs.’
- ‘The T3 starter pack costs £389.69 in the UK and €563.21 in Europe.’
- ‘Members also receive a starter pack with recipe folder, badges, tasting notepad and personalised baking flags.’
- ‘Initially the girls were given cash but now the aid usually consists of a starter pack, including a cot, pram, baby clothes and toiletries for the woman to take into hospital.’
- ‘Now, I had already given her my iPod starter pack: 20 CD Roms with MP3s burnt onto them.’
- ‘We came away with a Yamaha that was more or less a starter kit - extra strings, picks, an electronic tuner, gig bag, strap, and such included.’
- ‘Virgin.net has cut the cost of its broadband starter kit by £5.’
- ‘There's an MP3 starter kit in the box too, comprising software, a spare cartridge, a 32MB SD card and an SD Card reader.’
- ‘The starter kit, which consists of an adapter and two months of free Vonage service, used to cost $100 at the same stores.’
- ‘And, if you're into building cars yourself, Redline can provide a starter kit to which you can add your own custom components.’
- ‘The starter pack includes the Xbox Communicator headset (used for chatting to your mates online), a 12-month subscription to the Xbox Live service and special versions of two Xbox games, MotoGP and Whacked!’
- ‘Those attending the Westport seminar and later open an account with Delta Index will qualify for a free starter pack which includes an initial £50 bet, a free book on financial spread betting and a free workshop.’
- ‘As part of the WEN's campaign. ‘Taste of a Better Future’, she has written a downloadable briefing on how to grow your own food, as well as a starter pack for schools.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.