One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compact house or flat specifically designed and built to meet the requirements of young people buying their first home.
- ‘These social shifts presumably have an impact upon the housing market, pushing property demand away from the family starter home and towards swish little childfree apartments in regenerated areas.’
- ‘Recent surveys have shown that the disparity between wages and house prices in South Lakeland is so great that young people wanting to buy a starter home would need to borrow nearly six times their annual earnings to afford it.’
- ‘Shannon Vale is geared primarily to those in search of a starter home and existing home owners with families reared and anxious to trade down.’
- ‘For those who could already afford a cheap starter home, but wanted to use the scheme to buy a bigger or better home than they could otherwise afford, there would be a problem, however.’
- ‘The starter home is now an apartment, as the three-bed semi is in decline, but there is still particular demand for houses.’
- ‘If a waiting room and separate restroom are an extravagance in a starter home or an apartment, they should be in the long-range plans of a successful studio.’
- ‘Jonathan, who farms cereals, potatoes, sugarbeet, strawberries and raspberries, says the cost of even a small starter home is unrealistic for people working in the countryside.’
- ‘Designed by architects Burke Kennedy Doyle, the apartments will be completed between autumn and Christmas and should attract interest from first-time buyers looking for a starter home.’
- ‘Last Wednesday week, a Dublin estate agent spent the afternoon negotiating the sale of a starter home in the north inner city over the telephone.’
- ‘When you buy a starter home, you have to automatically think of moving up.’
- ‘However it is ideal as a bachelor pad or as a starter home.’
- ‘I love what your design team has done with the modest starter home.’
- ‘Now a starter home in Mount Baker is around $200,000, she estimates.’
- ‘The good news across most of the region is that their individual incomes are adequate or very close to the level needed to raise a mortgage on a modest starter home.’
- ‘It takes a typical first-time home buyer more than four years to save for a starter home, according to analysis by Curran's office.’
- ‘Properties include a £1.1m Baghdad mansion, a £110,000 five-bedroom house in the capital and a two-bedroom starter home in Karbala for £67,000.’
- ‘But we are finding that young double-income couples want to live and stay here and are buying these flats as their starter home.’
- ‘Their friends and family can also help them get the tools, equipment and accessories to take their starter home to dream home.’
- ‘As a result, house prices have spiralled so that a starter home now costs £140000 while the average income in the area remains £21000.’
- ‘Professional couples who are buying a second-hand property jointly can afford to pay quite a bit more for their starter home, but Keating finds that they are very sensitive to stamp duty bands.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.