One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Conceive one's first child.
- ‘At the time, Newberry and her husband, Maurice, were in the Air Force, starting a family and attending grad school.’
- ‘A century ago, to start a family you'd hire a professional to find you a spouse, and by doing what comes naturally you'd make a baby.’
- ‘He still feels that way, but his keen focus on becoming mayor of his hometown has dulled somewhat now that he's started a family and established roots in Houston.’
- ‘If a couple are considering starting a family they may approach their general practitioner for advice on conceiving.’
- ‘I put on around a stone, which wouldn't have been so bad, but starting a family a couple of years later really added to my weight problem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.