One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in science fiction) a large manned spaceship used for interstellar travel.
- ‘They make their move when an exhausted Bastila is traveling aboard the Republic starship the Endar Spire.’
- ‘All combat-ready starships are ordered to proceed to Alpha Centauri immediately.’
- ‘The story ended with Sam boarding a starship commanded by Sirians who may be able to aid in defeating the villain.’
- ‘We utilized these starships to travel the galaxy and encounter new species, which became either one of our adversaries or one of our allies.’
- ‘In this future setting mankind transposed modern nautical and naval terminology to their spacefaring starships.’
- ‘The men carried plasma carbines, which were better suited than were rifles to the close combat inside the corridors of space stations and starships.’
- ‘Some of the crates were the size of small starships, one or two possibly containing a vehicle for travel in the vacuum of space.’
- ‘He manages to escape the barren planet, commandeers a starship, and seeks to exact his revenge on Kirk.’
- ‘Well, ask Captain Janeway of the starship Voyager if she can tell the difference between warp five and warp six.’
- ‘Yet, perhaps, a century from today, someone using Gates' equations will be able to build starships and make what we know as science fiction in 2001 an everyday reality.’
- ‘Most of the early evacuated starships from Jupiter and Saturn have already landed next to their own Venus establishment.’
- ‘The huge distances between Earth and the nearest star make it necessary for us to conceive of extremely high-velocity starships if interstellar travel is to be possible with durations less than a human lifetime.’
- ‘They boarded the runner that would take them to the starship in orbit.’
- ‘Starship Dimensions is a great site that shows the relative sizes of starships from various Science Fiction series.’
- ‘They're moving starships into blockage positions.’
- ‘They use some sort of Transdimensional drive on their starships to travel through open space.’
- ‘We take you beyond the confines of starships and space stations to Starfleet Academy, an alien colony, a desert planet, swamps, an icy planet, and even to a hellish realm.’
- ‘They have two kilometer long starships orbiting the planet and soldiers in every city!’
- ‘Tanen turned the starship around and launched a swarm of missiles towards the enemy.’
- ‘Because of Federation starships in orbit, they were able to pick the missile off from deep space, causing minimal damage.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.