Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in science fiction) a large manned spaceship used for interstellar travel.
- ‘Well, ask Captain Janeway of the starship Voyager if she can tell the difference between warp five and warp six.’
- ‘He manages to escape the barren planet, commandeers a starship, and seeks to exact his revenge on Kirk.’
- ‘The men carried plasma carbines, which were better suited than were rifles to the close combat inside the corridors of space stations and starships.’
- ‘In this future setting mankind transposed modern nautical and naval terminology to their spacefaring starships.’
- ‘We take you beyond the confines of starships and space stations to Starfleet Academy, an alien colony, a desert planet, swamps, an icy planet, and even to a hellish realm.’
- ‘They make their move when an exhausted Bastila is traveling aboard the Republic starship the Endar Spire.’
- ‘Some of the crates were the size of small starships, one or two possibly containing a vehicle for travel in the vacuum of space.’
- ‘They boarded the runner that would take them to the starship in orbit.’
- ‘Most of the early evacuated starships from Jupiter and Saturn have already landed next to their own Venus establishment.’
- ‘The huge distances between Earth and the nearest star make it necessary for us to conceive of extremely high-velocity starships if interstellar travel is to be possible with durations less than a human lifetime.’
- ‘The story ended with Sam boarding a starship commanded by Sirians who may be able to aid in defeating the villain.’
- ‘Tanen turned the starship around and launched a swarm of missiles towards the enemy.’
- ‘Because of Federation starships in orbit, they were able to pick the missile off from deep space, causing minimal damage.’
- ‘All combat-ready starships are ordered to proceed to Alpha Centauri immediately.’
- ‘We utilized these starships to travel the galaxy and encounter new species, which became either one of our adversaries or one of our allies.’
- ‘Starship Dimensions is a great site that shows the relative sizes of starships from various Science Fiction series.’
- ‘They have two kilometer long starships orbiting the planet and soldiers in every city!’
- ‘They use some sort of Transdimensional drive on their starships to travel through open space.’
- ‘Yet, perhaps, a century from today, someone using Gates' equations will be able to build starships and make what we know as science fiction in 2001 an everyday reality.’
- ‘They're moving starships into blockage positions.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.