One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large number of stars with a perceptible structure; a galaxy.
- ‘Using our current spacecrafts it would take over 73,000 years to get to the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri.’
- ‘Space is so vast the most likely result is a jump out to deep space somewhere many parsecs from the nearest star system.’
- ‘Our star system is chock full of asteroids and comets, in every conceivable orbit and location.’
- ‘A joint European / University of Hawaii team of astronomers has for the first time observed a stellar ‘survivor’ to emerge from a double star system involving an exploded supernova.’
- ‘In the star system, there are six planets, five that are inhabitable, as well as moons.’
- ‘Some people believe that our secret Earth governments have been working hand-in-hand with the Roswell aliens from the Zeta Reticuli star system.’
- ‘In fact, if you look at it through a small telescope you'll see that it's actually a double star system.’
- ‘So getting a note from one star system to the next would take more generations than the average human mind can contemplate.’
- ‘Near the geographic center of the galaxy was a binary star system called Theralia.’
- ‘The cinematic opening of the game was complex and dramatic, introducing the characters and story in a big orchestral sequence as a star goes supernova, devastating a star system and killing the ship's captain.’
- ‘The Jupiter 2 is speeding through the uncharted reaches of deepest space in search of a familiar star system.’
- ‘Second, it is the only planet currently known to orbit a binary star system.’
- ‘The hologram faded and was replaced by the image of the Alpha Centauri binary star system.’
- ‘In a matter of hours or days it is possible to travel from one star system to another by creating a warp field that allows a spacecraft to slip into subspace.’
- ‘So it was still officially known as P478-3, the third planet in the SSC478 star system.’
- ‘At half the speed of light, travel time to Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system, would take nine years.’
- ‘The discovery offers astronomers a rare glimpse at a distant star system that resembles our home, and may represent a significant step toward learning if and where other Earths form.’
- ‘The star system they had spent the last seventeen hours crossing was, according to Ayame and the other astronomers, a binary star system known to the human race by the names Beta Cygni and Albireo.’
- ‘He only knew that thirty ships had come through a wormhole that connected Granger's solar system to an uninhabited star system.’
- ‘The home world has detected primitive, coded electromagnetic radiation from a star system some thirty light years distant.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.