One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large number of stars with a perceptible structure; a galaxy.
- ‘Using our current spacecrafts it would take over 73,000 years to get to the nearest star system, Alpha Centauri.’
- ‘The cinematic opening of the game was complex and dramatic, introducing the characters and story in a big orchestral sequence as a star goes supernova, devastating a star system and killing the ship's captain.’
- ‘So getting a note from one star system to the next would take more generations than the average human mind can contemplate.’
- ‘The star system they had spent the last seventeen hours crossing was, according to Ayame and the other astronomers, a binary star system known to the human race by the names Beta Cygni and Albireo.’
- ‘At half the speed of light, travel time to Alpha Centauri, the nearest star system, would take nine years.’
- ‘Some people believe that our secret Earth governments have been working hand-in-hand with the Roswell aliens from the Zeta Reticuli star system.’
- ‘So it was still officially known as P478-3, the third planet in the SSC478 star system.’
- ‘Second, it is the only planet currently known to orbit a binary star system.’
- ‘Near the geographic center of the galaxy was a binary star system called Theralia.’
- ‘The discovery offers astronomers a rare glimpse at a distant star system that resembles our home, and may represent a significant step toward learning if and where other Earths form.’
- ‘He only knew that thirty ships had come through a wormhole that connected Granger's solar system to an uninhabited star system.’
- ‘The hologram faded and was replaced by the image of the Alpha Centauri binary star system.’
- ‘In a matter of hours or days it is possible to travel from one star system to another by creating a warp field that allows a spacecraft to slip into subspace.’
- ‘The Jupiter 2 is speeding through the uncharted reaches of deepest space in search of a familiar star system.’
- ‘In fact, if you look at it through a small telescope you'll see that it's actually a double star system.’
- ‘Space is so vast the most likely result is a jump out to deep space somewhere many parsecs from the nearest star system.’
- ‘A joint European / University of Hawaii team of astronomers has for the first time observed a stellar ‘survivor’ to emerge from a double star system involving an exploded supernova.’
- ‘Our star system is chock full of asteroids and comets, in every conceivable orbit and location.’
- ‘The home world has detected primitive, coded electromagnetic radiation from a star system some thirty light years distant.’
- ‘In the star system, there are six planets, five that are inhabitable, as well as moons.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.