Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant of the lily family with star-shaped flowers which typically have green stripes on the outer surface, found in temperate regions of the Old World.
- ‘Nodding Star of Bethlehem (O. nutans) is equally lovely when used for naturalizing.’
- ‘Bach Rescue Remedy combines star of Bethlehem, rock rose, impatiens, cherry plum and clematis flower essences.’
- ‘My father used to grow them in his gardens, along with oleander and star of Bethlehem.’
- ‘The same is true for the common Star of Bethlehem (Ornithogalum umbellatum).’
- ‘Helen goes looking for the elusive Yellow Star of Bethlehem and the strange Toothwort.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.