Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for carambola
- ‘For those on a fruit diet, kiwi, rambutan, lichi, avocado, starfruit, durian, melon, pear, apple and orange, duku, Indian mangoes and jackfruit crowd the pavements of Serangoon Road and the side roads of little India.’
- ‘If you don't know what a starfruit or zirzat is, this is your chance to delight your taste buds.’
- ‘At Cedar House you get not only the farm's own just-roasted coffee but an array of delicious tropical fruits like apple bananas, starfruit, and cherimoyas - all grown on the farm or very nearby.’
- ‘We made dinner, which consisted of sausages, salad and fresh fruit basted lightly with maple syrup that we grilled; it turned out very nice, even the starfruit.’
- ‘They make the best jams with the bananas, the papaya and the starfruit.’
2A small European plant with tiny white flowers and six-pointed star-shaped fruit, found in or close to shallow fresh water.
- ‘Two years ago, only one Starfruit (Damasonium alisma) plant flowered at the site in Black Park Country Park, Buckinghamshire, but a recent survey has revealed that almost 100 of the aquatic plants are now thriving in a specially-built pond.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.