One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small star-shaped fruit with one seed in each arm. It has an aniseed flavour and is used unripe in Asian cooking.
- ‘You could, however, make yourself a tea with thyme leaves, approximately one half teaspoon per cup, and a piece of star anise.’
- ‘Instead of passionfruit flavouring, you could infuse the cream with either a fresh vanilla pod or some star anise pods.’
- ‘The gung krabung arrived first, almost like a prawn toast, arranged tastefully on the plate with slices of star anise.’
- ‘Add the star anise, cinnamon and lemon juice and simmer for about two minutes to combine the flavours.’
- ‘Add the star anise, coriander seeds, peppercorns and white wine.’
- ‘Add the carrot juice, gingerroot, star anise, lemon and orange zest, and chile powder.’
- ‘Some European countries have reported similar outbreaks of seizures in individuals who have consumed tea brewed from star anise.’
- ‘The lamb shanks, two massive things, were tender and flavourful, with the taste of star anise providing a nice accompaniment.’
- ‘New York does have its own thriving barbecue tradition, but it's more about star anise than smoke.’
- ‘Bring the caster sugar and 500 ml of water to the boil in a medium saucepan, then add the lemon juice, stem ginger, star anise and the vanilla pod.’
- ‘The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has advised against the use of ‘teas’ brewed from star anise.’
- ‘Place the lemon zest, fructose, star anise and 150 ml water in a small noncorrosive saucepan.’
- ‘Once completed, remove the star anise and set aside.’
- ‘They were slim and crisp, with an unexpected hint of star anise giving them an extra edge.’
- ‘Place the huckleberries, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, and cardamom seeds in a medium bowl.’
- ‘The pods come from the star anise fruit and are a key ingredient of both Chinese cuisine and the flu drug Tamiflu.’
- ‘Place the star anise, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and ginger in a mortar.’
- ‘It had a yummy sauce, flavoured with a lot of fresh ginger and star anise.’
- ‘The star anise peeking out from below the meat explained the licorice flavour and played nicely off the deliciously sweet and sharp abenaki apple compote.’
- ‘Vermilion makes another departure from the norm with its desserts, which include strawberry salad flavoured with Grand Marnier, star anise, cinnamon and vanilla, served with vanilla malt ice.’
2The small Chinese evergreen tree from which star anise is obtained.
- ‘Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.’
- ‘In the meantime, there is no short-term supply relief in sight, because star anise trees take years to mature.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.