One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A small star-shaped fruit with one seed in each arm. It has an aniseed flavour and is used unripe in Asian cooking.
- ‘Place the lemon zest, fructose, star anise and 150 ml water in a small noncorrosive saucepan.’
- ‘Once completed, remove the star anise and set aside.’
- ‘New York does have its own thriving barbecue tradition, but it's more about star anise than smoke.’
- ‘Instead of passionfruit flavouring, you could infuse the cream with either a fresh vanilla pod or some star anise pods.’
- ‘You could, however, make yourself a tea with thyme leaves, approximately one half teaspoon per cup, and a piece of star anise.’
- ‘The star anise peeking out from below the meat explained the licorice flavour and played nicely off the deliciously sweet and sharp abenaki apple compote.’
- ‘The lamb shanks, two massive things, were tender and flavourful, with the taste of star anise providing a nice accompaniment.’
- ‘They were slim and crisp, with an unexpected hint of star anise giving them an extra edge.’
- ‘Place the huckleberries, cinnamon stick, cloves, star anise, and cardamom seeds in a medium bowl.’
- ‘The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has advised against the use of ‘teas’ brewed from star anise.’
- ‘Some European countries have reported similar outbreaks of seizures in individuals who have consumed tea brewed from star anise.’
- ‘The pods come from the star anise fruit and are a key ingredient of both Chinese cuisine and the flu drug Tamiflu.’
- ‘Add the carrot juice, gingerroot, star anise, lemon and orange zest, and chile powder.’
- ‘Place the star anise, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cinnamon stick and ginger in a mortar.’
- ‘Add the star anise, cinnamon and lemon juice and simmer for about two minutes to combine the flavours.’
- ‘Bring the caster sugar and 500 ml of water to the boil in a medium saucepan, then add the lemon juice, stem ginger, star anise and the vanilla pod.’
- ‘Vermilion makes another departure from the norm with its desserts, which include strawberry salad flavoured with Grand Marnier, star anise, cinnamon and vanilla, served with vanilla malt ice.’
- ‘It had a yummy sauce, flavoured with a lot of fresh ginger and star anise.’
- ‘The gung krabung arrived first, almost like a prawn toast, arranged tastefully on the plate with slices of star anise.’
- ‘Add the star anise, coriander seeds, peppercorns and white wine.’
2The small Chinese evergreen tree from which star anise is obtained.
Illicium verum, family Illiciaceae
- ‘Many herbs can help to deter flies, such as lavender, sweet woodruff, lemon verbena, star anise, tansy, any of the mints, rosemary, bay, chamomile, rue, elder, southernwood and basil.’
- ‘In the meantime, there is no short-term supply relief in sight, because star anise trees take years to mature.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.