One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for fastening together sheets of paper with a staple or staples.
- ‘This usually means finding out who has brought the string, gum and staplers to enable us to hang up our posters, then fortifying ourselves with a last-minute pint.’
- ‘To that end, never place a sleeve on top of a pad of paper, pen or stapler, as Brown has seen even his staff do.’
- ‘They also took paper, pens, pencils, staplers, white paper and a box cutter.’
- ‘But Gareth is unimpressed that official office equipment has been abused - particularly his beloved stapler.’
- ‘Suddenly we had to move to a different house, but I got lots of free paper and staplers and pens from Dad's old office.’
- ‘Your stapler and paper clip container stay wherever you put them.’
- ‘She stuck a sheaf of paper into her stapler and punched down much harder than was necessary.’
- ‘She glanced quickly at the supplies: rubber bands, legal pads, a box or pens and pencils, a stapler and staples and a single file folder.’
- ‘We regularly sent out appeals asking for donations of such minor items as paper clips, staplers, toner and glue.’
- ‘Documents are copied with carbon paper and then held together by straight pins; staplers are largely unknown.’
- ‘One is littered with papers, books, CDs, a phone, a stapler, several pens, a box of business cards, etc.’
- ‘I had to admit, the desktop looked so neat and clean, with the pencils and pens in a mug, the stapler and desk calendar arranged just so.’
- ‘Kindergartens and school are also short of supplies - chalk, crayons, felt tips, near new books in class sets of 20, rulers, staplers and tape, dolls and clothes and wooden toys.’
- ‘With the edges aligned, the stapler is then used to fasten everything together at the top left corner.’
- ‘Office Depot's approach to application development can't alter the fact that its customers are only going to buy so many post-it notes, staplers and paper clips in the course of a year.’
- ‘In the drawer, among pencils, staplers, fluorescent markers and rubber bands, was another key.’
- ‘Larger items such as copy paper, staplers, and calculators should be taken one at a time and no more than once per quarter.’
- ‘So it's time we made a conscious effort to cut down the use of staplers and completely stopped their usage in food packets.’
- ‘Are you the one who ends up with all the staplers around the office?’
- ‘Overlap the short edges of each component and with a regular paper stapler join the edges together.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.