One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for fastening together sheets of paper with a staple or staples.
- ‘With the edges aligned, the stapler is then used to fasten everything together at the top left corner.’
- ‘So it's time we made a conscious effort to cut down the use of staplers and completely stopped their usage in food packets.’
- ‘Suddenly we had to move to a different house, but I got lots of free paper and staplers and pens from Dad's old office.’
- ‘But Gareth is unimpressed that official office equipment has been abused - particularly his beloved stapler.’
- ‘Office Depot's approach to application development can't alter the fact that its customers are only going to buy so many post-it notes, staplers and paper clips in the course of a year.’
- ‘Are you the one who ends up with all the staplers around the office?’
- ‘One is littered with papers, books, CDs, a phone, a stapler, several pens, a box of business cards, etc.’
- ‘Documents are copied with carbon paper and then held together by straight pins; staplers are largely unknown.’
- ‘In the drawer, among pencils, staplers, fluorescent markers and rubber bands, was another key.’
- ‘Larger items such as copy paper, staplers, and calculators should be taken one at a time and no more than once per quarter.’
- ‘To that end, never place a sleeve on top of a pad of paper, pen or stapler, as Brown has seen even his staff do.’
- ‘Overlap the short edges of each component and with a regular paper stapler join the edges together.’
- ‘This usually means finding out who has brought the string, gum and staplers to enable us to hang up our posters, then fortifying ourselves with a last-minute pint.’
- ‘I had to admit, the desktop looked so neat and clean, with the pencils and pens in a mug, the stapler and desk calendar arranged just so.’
- ‘We regularly sent out appeals asking for donations of such minor items as paper clips, staplers, toner and glue.’
- ‘Your stapler and paper clip container stay wherever you put them.’
- ‘She stuck a sheaf of paper into her stapler and punched down much harder than was necessary.’
- ‘She glanced quickly at the supplies: rubber bands, legal pads, a box or pens and pencils, a stapler and staples and a single file folder.’
- ‘They also took paper, pens, pencils, staplers, white paper and a box cutter.’
- ‘Kindergartens and school are also short of supplies - chalk, crayons, felt tips, near new books in class sets of 20, rulers, staplers and tape, dolls and clothes and wooden toys.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.