One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A bacterium of a genus that includes many pathogenic kinds that cause pus formation, especially in the skin and mucous membranes.
- ‘Bacterial conjunctivitis is often caused by bacteria such as staphylococcus and streptococcus.’
- ‘Patients with blood cultures positive for coagulase-negative staphylococci or other common skin contaminants were not classified as bacteremic.’
- ‘The results of this study suggest that hospital fabrics such as drapes, scrub attire, and personal clothing may act as a repository for enterococci and staphylococci.’
- ‘The most common pathogens were coagulase negative staphylococci, escherichia coli, and Staphylococcus aureus.’
- ‘MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus and is a strain of the staphylococcus bacteria which is resistant to antibiotics.’
- ‘Gram-negative streptococci and staphylococci can be distinguished by their characteristic appearance under high-powered magnification.’
- ‘Stallsafe is effective against salmonella, e-coli, staphylococcus, streptococcus, listeria and many more bacteria, molds & fungi.’
- ‘These nodules may become infected secondarily with staphylococci bacteria.’
- ‘It can kill staphylococci, streptococci, salmonella, E-coli and MRSA.’
- ‘Another strain of the bacterium staphylococcus aureus already lives on the skin of a third of the population but rarely causes anything more serious than pimples or boils.’
- ‘It appears from the data that both staphylococci and enterococci live longer on polyester fabric than on cotton and live the longest on polypropylene plastic splash aprons.’
- ‘Cultures revealed coagulase-negative staphylococci and Staphylococcus aureus on pagers from all health care worker groups.’
- ‘In the recent study, the authors identified cell wall deficient streptococci and staphylococci from blood cultures of recipients of bone marrow transplants during febrile episodes.’
- ‘The only organisms isolated were diphtheroids, coagulase-negative staphylococci, and micrococci.’
- ‘Cockroaches have been implicated in cases of salmonella food poisoning, and they have also been found to harbor staphylococcus and streptococcus bacteria.’
- ‘It is usually caused by the bacteria staphylococcus.’
- ‘Experts found in the microbiology report that baby Harry's spinal fluid and lungs were riddled with the staphylococcus aureus bacteria, suggesting he had a viral infection.’
- ‘The infection is frequently confused with the more common forms of cellulitis and lymphangitis, typically caused by staphylococci and streptococci.’
- ‘Other bacteria that commonly cause conjunctivitis include staphylococci, streptococci and haemophilus bacteria.’
- ‘Royalisin, a protein in royal jelly, suppresses certain types of bacteria including staphylococcus and streptococcus.’
Modern Latin, from Greek staphulē ‘bunch of grapes’ + kokkos ‘berry’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.