Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A beetle of a family ("Staphylinidae" ) that comprises the rove beetles.
- ‘Several taxa were reared for the first time, numerous new state records of staphylinids were made and experience was gained in rearing and maintaining beetles in laboratory settings.’
- ‘Significant differences were noted in 2 years for carabids and staphylinids and one year for spiders.’
- ‘Such peculiarities in combination with great reproductive potential and other advanced features of holometabolous insects make staphylinids an evolutionarily very successful animal group.’
- ‘Both institutions have a very long tradition of research on staphylinids and house important historical collections of rove beetles with a considerable number of historical type specimens.’
- ‘Several species of staphylinids are known from this region.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin Staphylinidae (plural), from the genus name Staphylinus, from Greek staphulinos, denoting a kind of insect.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.