One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A legal body for the regulation of tin miners in the stannaries.
- ‘The Duke may rule on matters, but rulings by the stannary courts were independent to any powers held at Westminster.’
- ‘It is to the tinners and their stannary courts that responsibility for this harsh justice lies.’
- ‘It is noted that stannary courts were abolished under the Stannaries Court Act 1896.’
- ‘Chagford was made a Stannary town in 1305, and had a stannary court for regulating tin mining operations.’
- ‘It housed the Town Hall, magistrates and stannary courts, police offices and cells and the fire brigade.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.