One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A growing crop, especially of a cereal.‘we have to avoid livestock and standing crops’
- ‘Some have managed to take an interest in their land and make it productive, but many have simply reaped the standing crop and then left the land derelict.’
- ‘Crop circles are areas of standing crops that have been flattened in the shape of a circle, or more complex designs’
- ‘The standing crop in the farms destroyed or looted.’
- ‘Before tax was levied on the harvested crop, the land was surveyed and the standing crop was measured.’
- ‘Ridges are usually reformed yearly by cultivation of the standing crop in June.’
The total biomass of an ecosystem or any of its components at a given time.‘the low standing crop of phytoplankton in oceanic areas’
- ‘Grasshoppers are the dominant invertebrate herbivores in this field, comprising 75-85% of total herbivore live standing crop.’
- ‘Low water temperatures in early spring also result in lower standing crops of macro-invertebrates in prairie wetlands than after conditions become more moderate.’
- ‘The early downward drift of carbon dioxide levels may be explained as the gradual accumulation of a standing crop of plant biomass in and around fresh waters and tidal regions.’
- ‘Goslings of colonial nesting species often travel considerable distances to feeding areas with relatively higher standing crops of forage.’
- ‘Importance of grazing as a cause of spatial variation in food abundance is further supported by substantially greater removal of vegetation by geese in areas with lowest standing crops.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.