One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A count of eight taken on a boxer who has not been knocked down but who appears temporarily unfit to continue fighting.
- ‘The referee halted the fight in the final round after a storm of blows followed a standing eight count early in the early seconds of the round.’
- ‘She looked like she was going down but the ref moved in for a standing eight count.’
- ‘After taking the standing eight count, he was deposited on his backside by a right hook which turned his jaw around.’
- ‘She took three standing eight counts in the first round.’
- ‘The challenger did well to rise quickly but took a full standing count of eight from the referee.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.