One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘At the end, the delegates rose rather slowly to their feet; indeed for a while it looked as if there might not be a stander at all.’
- ‘So it was canonized: it became the Communion rail - an object of devotion, and much later on, of discord between the kneelers and the standers at the banquet of unity.’
- ‘Bill is a stander and a doer, not a sitter and a thinker.’
- ‘People are either standers or walkers on escalators and that's fine; I prefer to walk.’
- ‘Instantly the kneelers and the standers joined her.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.