One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The degree of wealth and material comfort available to a person or community.
- ‘Their standard of living would grow, as would the economy and government revenue.’
- ‘In our society, productivity on average rises by two percent a year, which means we can enjoy a higher standard of living.’
- ‘This meant that doctors had to see more patients if they were to maintain a good standard of living.’
- ‘Iceland has one of the highest standards of living in Europe, with an especially high quality of housing.’
- ‘Together they would have a bright future, with full employment and a high standard of living.’
- ‘It is only in such an environment that tourism can flourish and a vibrant, and viable industry is one sure way of improving the standards of living of the people.’
- ‘In the rest of the country the areas with the highest alcohol consumption also have some of the lowest standards of living.’
- ‘This makes migration attractive to those who can raise their standards of living substantially by going to New Zealand even if they do not work.’
- ‘You will have to work harder to get the same products, and your standard of living will be harmed.’
- ‘Unless we all start putting more away for our retirement, many of us will suffer a huge drop in our standards of living when we give up work.’
- ‘It will then attract people looking for a better standard of living, who in turn bring skills and money with them long term.’
- ‘They enjoy one of the highest standards of living of any country in the world.’
- ‘There is no better way to assist people to lift their standards of living and to gain prosperity than to trade with them.’
- ‘We have higher expectations about our standards of living now than we've ever had before.’
- ‘Will you have a sufficient pension to retire with a reasonable standard of living?’
- ‘I would like to work closer to home but also have a certain standard of living I want to maintain.’
- ‘There are a lot of very simplistic statements made about the relative standards of living between the United States and Europe.’
- ‘The council is also continuing to plough money into private and council homes to improve the standard of living.’
- ‘Luxembourg enjoys one of the highest standards of living of any nation in the European Community.’
- ‘Childcarers deserve a decent standard of living and parents deserve peace of mind and a decent standard of living too.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.