One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The degree of wealth and material comfort available to a person or community.
- ‘I would like to work closer to home but also have a certain standard of living I want to maintain.’
- ‘Childcarers deserve a decent standard of living and parents deserve peace of mind and a decent standard of living too.’
- ‘This meant that doctors had to see more patients if they were to maintain a good standard of living.’
- ‘The council is also continuing to plough money into private and council homes to improve the standard of living.’
- ‘There is no better way to assist people to lift their standards of living and to gain prosperity than to trade with them.’
- ‘Together they would have a bright future, with full employment and a high standard of living.’
- ‘You will have to work harder to get the same products, and your standard of living will be harmed.’
- ‘Their standard of living would grow, as would the economy and government revenue.’
- ‘It will then attract people looking for a better standard of living, who in turn bring skills and money with them long term.’
- ‘Iceland has one of the highest standards of living in Europe, with an especially high quality of housing.’
- ‘This makes migration attractive to those who can raise their standards of living substantially by going to New Zealand even if they do not work.’
- ‘They enjoy one of the highest standards of living of any country in the world.’
- ‘In our society, productivity on average rises by two percent a year, which means we can enjoy a higher standard of living.’
- ‘Unless we all start putting more away for our retirement, many of us will suffer a huge drop in our standards of living when we give up work.’
- ‘There are a lot of very simplistic statements made about the relative standards of living between the United States and Europe.’
- ‘We have higher expectations about our standards of living now than we've ever had before.’
- ‘In the rest of the country the areas with the highest alcohol consumption also have some of the lowest standards of living.’
- ‘Will you have a sufficient pension to retire with a reasonable standard of living?’
- ‘Luxembourg enjoys one of the highest standards of living of any nation in the European Community.’
- ‘It is only in such an environment that tourism can flourish and a vibrant, and viable industry is one sure way of improving the standards of living of the people.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.