One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lamp with a tall stem whose base stands on the floor.
lamp, torch, flashlightView synonyms
- ‘After a few minutes, she flipped on the standard lamp beside her.’
- ‘The standard lamp is off, and everyone is sat there - silent and still like dummies in the window of a shut shop.’
- ‘Here in Las Vegas the stage is dressed like a living room with couches and standard lamps.’
- ‘A desk lamp, standard lamp or light from a window can be used to effectively light a scene.’
- ‘Elizabeth and Agatha sat together in the living room in the cosy pool of light shed by the standard lamp.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.