Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A lamp with a tall stem whose base stands on the floor.
lamp, torch, flashlightView synonyms
- ‘After a few minutes, she flipped on the standard lamp beside her.’
- ‘The standard lamp is off, and everyone is sat there - silent and still like dummies in the window of a shut shop.’
- ‘Elizabeth and Agatha sat together in the living room in the cosy pool of light shed by the standard lamp.’
- ‘Here in Las Vegas the stage is dressed like a living room with couches and standard lamps.’
- ‘A desk lamp, standard lamp or light from a window can be used to effectively light a scene.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.