One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Scotland) the lower of the two main levels of the Scottish Certificate of Education examination.
- ‘Darren is studying for Standard Grades and wants to become an engineer.’
- ‘It is not compulsory for children in Scotland to take exams such as Standard Grades or Highers, although children need such qualifications in order to attend higher education.’
- ‘After leaving school at 16 with six Standard Grades, he worked in supermarkets.’
- ‘With more children staying on to do Standard Grades and Highers, perhaps there is a growing interest in tuition for that reason.’
- ‘She is sitting seven Standard Grades this year and suffers from hay fever, which disrupts her studies and her outdoor exercise.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.