One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Scotland) the lower of the two main levels of the Scottish Certificate of Education examination.
- ‘She is sitting seven Standard Grades this year and suffers from hay fever, which disrupts her studies and her outdoor exercise.’
- ‘Darren is studying for Standard Grades and wants to become an engineer.’
- ‘It is not compulsory for children in Scotland to take exams such as Standard Grades or Highers, although children need such qualifications in order to attend higher education.’
- ‘After leaving school at 16 with six Standard Grades, he worked in supermarkets.’
- ‘With more children staying on to do Standard Grades and Highers, perhaps there is a growing interest in tuition for that reason.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.