One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Not retreat or lose one's advantage in the face of opposition.‘you will be able to hold your ground and resist the enemy's attack’‘I'm proud of standing my ground on many issues’
stand firm, be firm, make a stand, be resolute, insist, be determined, show determination, hold on, hold out, be emphatic, not take no for an answer, brook no refusalView synonyms
- ‘Everybody else has retreated but we have to hold our ground.’
- ‘The fact that I stood my ground and looked him straight in the eyes reflected his fear back to him.’
- ‘Maybe if I had bitten my lip at 18 and not stood my ground, things could have worked out differently.’
- ‘With dogs, I have always stood my ground and was trying to do the equivalent with the goose.’
- ‘However, he held his ground and concluded his defense with the immortal words ‘Here I stand.’’
- ‘He held his ground and removed his glasses to wipe off the dirt, pondering his next move.’
- ‘I had to at least hold my ground, or lose all semblance of competency.’
- ‘But they did manage to hold their ground on the key issue of keeping those jobs at home.’
- ‘Shoulder to shoulder with any striker, he wants to make sure he will be able to hold his ground.’
- ‘We held our ground for close to an hour, but eventually their sheer numbers caused us to retreat.’
2stand your groundUS Law
Denoting a law or legal principle that permits a person to use deadly force in self-defence without first trying to retreat.
- ‘He was grateful the president also advocated taking a closer look at the message sent by "stand your ground laws."’
- ‘He is in fact claiming self defense under the Stand Your Ground law.’
- ‘This panel discussion on Stand Your Ground examines whether this law is a justifiable explanation for self-defense or a license to kill innocent people.’
- ‘Some twenty-seven states have Stand Your Ground laws involving justifiable homicide when attacked.’
- ‘Representatives are receiving calls, letters, visits and emails from constituents with diverse opinions on "Stand Your Ground.’
- ‘The trial led to nationwide debate about "stand your ground" laws enacted in several states.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.