One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A complete set of weapons for one man.
- ‘Union soldiers also captured 95 stands of arms, 400 cattle, 200 horses and mules, and 17 wagons.’
- ‘During that year they received several thousand stands of arms and more than a million rounds of ammunition, and for three years before that they had been regularly supplied with weapons.’
- ‘We captured two hundred stands of arms and about two hundred horses.’
- ‘Thus the carrying off of some four or five hundred stand of arms was accomplished by the police under the direction of the board of police.’
- ‘The British took nearly 6,000 prisoners, 240 cannon and 7,500 stands of arms with much ammunition.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.