Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Be unequalled.‘when it came to fun Fergus stood alone’
unmatched, unrivalled, unparalleled, unequalled, matchless, peerless, without peer, without equal, in a class of its own, all-time best, inimitable, incomparable, beyond compare, beyond comparison, second to none, unsurpassable, surpassing, nonpareilView synonyms
- ‘It is a challenge that stands alone, a task that must be taken on without flinching or averting your attention.’
- ‘But Malaysia stands alone among the airlines flying here to score a marvellous five stars for its economy class long haul seating.’
- ‘In a largely stamina-based sport dominated by increasingly young swimmers, the 50m stands alone as an event where power is the key factor.’
- ‘The television show stands alone with a unique place in the nation's heart.’
- ‘The clinic stands alone as being almost wholly independent of provincial scrutiny.’
- ‘This is a historic and momentous occasion in the life of this country and it is an event that stands alone.’
- ‘In a year that has yet again seen the world of comic books plundered by Hollywood for source material, one film stands alone.’
- ‘In terms of deaths caused by one individual acting alone, he stands alone.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.