One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The state of readiness for action or attack.
- ‘Complying with established stand-to times, support platoon members begin to prepare.’
- ‘Starting with the established brigade support area stand-to times, the members of HHC prepare to support the battalion.’
- ‘In response to the emerging threat, soldiers went on stand-to from 0200 until 0500 hours.’
- ‘As well as building guard posts at the entrances to key positions and at vehicle checkpoints, sandbags were used to establish stand-to points for all-round perimeter security.’
- ‘They adopted their stand-to positions in slit trenches and machine gun pits.’
- 1.1 The formal start to a day of military operations.‘the sky was getting light and it would soon be stand-to’
- ‘Most infantrymen are accustomed to the traditional stand-to an hour before and after sunrise.’
- ‘We had one 20 minute break for quiet time at stand-to - then kept going into the night - it was a lot slower and a bit more dangerous.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.