One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A half back who forms a link between the scrum half and the three-quarters.
- ‘Mike Long, jumpers Mike O'Halloran and Mike Grimes excelled also, while stand-off half O'Halloran varied his game with deft ‘box’ kicking and efficient distribution.’
- ‘However the home stand-off half erred with two of an easier variety, if there is such a thing as an ‘easy’ goal-kick’
- ‘Murray ‘robbed’ but stand-off half Philip Jones fumbled, and as Waterhouse cleared the host team was awarded a penalty.’
- ‘When Sherrif, as usual, won the line, Young found Swetman with the burly 12 passing back inside to the stand-off half.’
- ‘The most remarkable fact about Sunday's Gale Cup final at Donnybrook is that blonde Naas stand-off half Gareth Butler will be playing in the final for the fourth time.’
- ‘This changed when injuries at Leicester, whom he joined on a short-term contract after the World Cup, thrust him back into the role of stand-off half - a job he performed with great distinction and to critical acclaim.’
- ‘The legendary stand-off half Jack Kyle - home from Africa, where he has doctored for many years - will address more than 200 Naas club supporters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.