One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A duty levied on the legal recognition of certain documents.
- ‘In ten years time, one in four homes will be eligible for stamp duty at the middle band of 3%.’
- ‘There is confusion amongst consumers over whether the stamp duty is levied on the card or the account.’
- ‘No stamp duty is payable on the apartments and a fit-out package can be organised through Weir Design.’
- ‘If stamp duty is paid to the Revenue Commissioners that wasn't owed, you are entitled to a full refund.’
- ‘The main factors behind the high tax take are continued strong surges in capital gains taxes and stamp duty.’
- ‘The government will benefit from capital gains tax and stamp duty on the sales.’
- ‘The stamp duty on any property includes the cost of land and that of structure thereon.’
- ‘The state also gets in on the act here with a 1 per cent stamp duty charged on each transaction.’
- ‘There is no stamp duty for owner occupiers, and investors can offset mortgage interest.’
- ‘All of the houses qualify for the first-time buyer's grant and are exempt from stamp duty.’
- ‘Letwin and Howard are more cautious, preferring targeted cuts in areas such as inheritance tax and stamp duty.’
- ‘At a state government level, they have a windfall of stamp duty and land tax when there's a property boom.’
- ‘The same applies to inheritance tax and stamp duty, both of which are payable on the basis of the house price.’
- ‘David Wilson Homes has agreed to pay the stamp duty and the five per cent deposit.’
- ‘The company also paid the solicitors' fees and stamp duty on the transaction.’
- ‘Investors should bear in mind that although these are new homes, the tax incentives come with stamp duty attached.’
- ‘This was followed by a reduction in income tax and stamp duty plus a higher tax on industry ‘fat cats’.’
- ‘Many first-time buyers were hoping the chancellor would raise the level at which stamp duty becomes payable.’
- ‘All of the houses at Highlands are exempt from stamp duty for owner-occupiers.’
- ‘The only other expenses you should have to pay is stamp duty and settling charges on the buying and selling of shares.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.