One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The collection and study of postage stamps as objects of interest or value; philately.
- ‘A counter was also set up so that interested children could buy new stamps and other philately material to begin their journey into stamp collecting.’
- ‘When he retired he pursued his favourite hobby of stamp collecting, but also enjoyed reading, model ship building, classical music, and foreign travel.’
- ‘His meticulous character suited his outside interests of coin and stamp collecting, chess, genealogy, and Scottish history.’
- ‘His leisure time pursuits included stamp collecting, operatic music, cycling, walking and athletics.’
- ‘The event at Scarborough, however, is a reminder that in the 1930s cigarette card trading was second only to stamp collecting in the list of world hobbies.’
- ‘Younger people are into more outdoor activities and stamp collecting is seen as something slightly old-fashioned.’
- ‘This attention to detail and quality stood him in good stead both in regard to his engineering company and his stamp collecting.’
- ‘Today, however, stamp collecting is hardly considered cool and is more likely to be indulged in by the affluent serious collector than the average ten-year-old.’
- ‘His enthusiasms were building model aeroplanes and stamp collecting, when he was not protecting his garden from wind, sea, and sheep.’
- ‘Edna, 71, from South Croydon, has always been interested in stamp collecting and now spends at least five evenings week sorting them into categories and themes.’
- ‘He also seemed to give up his mathematical work at that time but he had other interests to occupy his time such as stamp collecting and music.’
- ‘His hobbies include stamp collecting and growing his own herbs and vegetables.’
- ‘Coins and Collectables owner and Bundaberg dealer John Felesina said stamp collecting and swapping was alive and well in the region.’
- ‘Decades later, when Worley was in his late 40s, his young daughter took what proved to be a short-lived interest in stamp collecting.’
- ‘When he is not at the keyboard, he is probably stamp collecting, vegetable gardening, or enjoying his grandchildren.’
- ‘The scope of the philatelic world renders the boast that stamp collecting is ‘probably the most popular indoor hobby that exists’ entirely believable.’
- ‘For most young people stamp collecting was a low key affair.’
- ‘Many themes are possible in stamp collecting, for example, insects, flowers, ships, persons, and events.’
- ‘When he had to be indoors, he pursued his other great hobby, stamp collecting.’
- ‘He was a determined man, with a good sense of humour and in his spare time enjoyed woodwork and stamp collecting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.