One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The collection and study of postage stamps as objects of interest or value; philately.
- ‘His leisure time pursuits included stamp collecting, operatic music, cycling, walking and athletics.’
- ‘When he had to be indoors, he pursued his other great hobby, stamp collecting.’
- ‘When he retired he pursued his favourite hobby of stamp collecting, but also enjoyed reading, model ship building, classical music, and foreign travel.’
- ‘His meticulous character suited his outside interests of coin and stamp collecting, chess, genealogy, and Scottish history.’
- ‘He also seemed to give up his mathematical work at that time but he had other interests to occupy his time such as stamp collecting and music.’
- ‘A counter was also set up so that interested children could buy new stamps and other philately material to begin their journey into stamp collecting.’
- ‘Many themes are possible in stamp collecting, for example, insects, flowers, ships, persons, and events.’
- ‘For most young people stamp collecting was a low key affair.’
- ‘When he is not at the keyboard, he is probably stamp collecting, vegetable gardening, or enjoying his grandchildren.’
- ‘This attention to detail and quality stood him in good stead both in regard to his engineering company and his stamp collecting.’
- ‘His hobbies include stamp collecting and growing his own herbs and vegetables.’
- ‘Decades later, when Worley was in his late 40s, his young daughter took what proved to be a short-lived interest in stamp collecting.’
- ‘His enthusiasms were building model aeroplanes and stamp collecting, when he was not protecting his garden from wind, sea, and sheep.’
- ‘Today, however, stamp collecting is hardly considered cool and is more likely to be indulged in by the affluent serious collector than the average ten-year-old.’
- ‘The event at Scarborough, however, is a reminder that in the 1930s cigarette card trading was second only to stamp collecting in the list of world hobbies.’
- ‘Younger people are into more outdoor activities and stamp collecting is seen as something slightly old-fashioned.’
- ‘Coins and Collectables owner and Bundaberg dealer John Felesina said stamp collecting and swapping was alive and well in the region.’
- ‘Edna, 71, from South Croydon, has always been interested in stamp collecting and now spends at least five evenings week sorting them into categories and themes.’
- ‘He was a determined man, with a good sense of humour and in his spare time enjoyed woodwork and stamp collecting.’
- ‘The scope of the philatelic world renders the boast that stamp collecting is ‘probably the most popular indoor hobby that exists’ entirely believable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.