One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person owning or running a stall at a market.
- ‘Councillors have also agreed to use 10 per cent of all the revenue from the stallholders to promote Bolton Market over a wide area for a period of six months.’
- ‘On Saturday the early morning rain would have put people off coming from far afield and in the afternoon some market stallholders packed up early because of the winds.’
- ‘The stallholder at Bolton's Ashburner Street market is furious at the level of publicity which was used to attract shoppers to Victoria Square, in front of the town hall, where 40 log cabins have been erected.’
- ‘To fund his education he rented a stall at Portobello Market, bought bits and pieces from other stallholders, then sold them to the public at a healthy mark-up.’
- ‘There are 17 stallholders but the market is looking to expand.’
- ‘Many of the stallholders at the market, held the third Saturday of each month, are the original vendors who have supported the venture all year round.’
- ‘At the end of each market day when the stallholders had left there was a great deal of clearing up to be done.’
- ‘In fact, anyone who enjoys delicious healthy food and that, it seems, includes the likes of the WI and farmers market stallholders.’
- ‘As we expect the demand to be great for this market, we advise stallholders to book in advance.’
- ‘In the evening when darkness falls the stallholders light up their lanterns and the atmosphere becomes truly magical.’
- ‘Shopkeepers in Marlborough have now joined the town's market stallholders in protesting at the number of days' trade lost through street closures.’
- ‘This year there will also be a continental market with stallholders keeping to the theme of the weekend by dressing in mediaeval costume.’
- ‘Officers are now asking retailers and market stallholders to remove the toy from sale and any parents who may have bought the toy for their children to bin it.’
- ‘Lorries and vans blocked two of Bolton busiest main roads, and tempers boiled over as Ashburner Street stallholders arrived to find they could not unload their goods.’
- ‘A market stallholder said the scheme would take more customers away from the Market Place which was being neglected by the town's policy makers.’
- ‘It could reawaken the bitter legal battles of more than 10 years ago, when the council and stallholders clashed over plans to regulate the market.’
- ‘Shopkeepers and stallholders preparing the Kingsland Market began to emerge at daybreak.’
- ‘Market Hall stallholders accused developers of not giving them a fair hearing at the planning meeting in March.’
- ‘One of the market stallholders, Veronica Cutler, said all the produce for sale is organically grown and the eggs are organic.’
- ‘Morrison's withdrew its plans to demolish the building and construct a new market hall in a different location following opposition from stallholders and shoppers.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.