One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An anchored boat used to mark the course for a boat race.
- ‘There is a stagger in favour of the surrey stake boat at the start.’
- ‘The stake boat reports that the wind has shifted again to 51 degrees but it is 20 degrees at our location.’
- ‘The boats started from the cove, and the Saint John crew rowed up the stream to the stake boats, which they rounded, and returned to the starting-point, making the race a distance of six miles.’
- ‘I got a chance to play stake boat for the Open Ocean Regatta run by the Open Water Rowing Center in Sausalito.’
- ‘On the stake boats and quickly the race was underway.’
- ‘Crews should be in their lanes and, for 2000 meter races, locked onto the stake boat two minutes before the start of their race.’
- ‘A person in the stake boats holds each of the six boats lined up.’
- ‘There were two stake boats anchored off the Bath Park Hotel, a fifth of a mile apart, and the course was around these.’
- ‘If you want others to volunteer to be on the stake boat for your races, why not reciprocate by volunteering to be on a stake boat for them when you aren't racing?’
- ‘The races usually have two points; the boats first run before the wind or westward away from the shore to a stake boat or marker some miles out.’
- ‘Go out again to watch Goldie and Isis race and determine stake boats remain level for Blue boats.’
- ‘The first crews to race on this frigid, gray morning pulled away from their starting stake boats at 6: 45 A.M., and a multiple regatta of 25 events began to unfold here on the Charles River's basin.’
- ‘So I bore off and sailed down to 1, where the presence of the Race Committee stake boat strongly suggested that I was sailing the right course.’
- ‘We were made to do some pretty tricky things (a 17 km row and practising starting from a stake boat, for example), but we kept up the concentration and commitment.’
- ‘For thirty miles up the river the boats kept side by side, but the Oregon passed the Vanderbilt as she approached the stake boat off Ossining and was half a length ahead at that point.’
- ‘A tournament stake boat will be on duty at the check-out points from 5: 30 a.m. to 8: 00 a.m. each morning.’
- ‘1628 BST: The two crews are at the stake boats awaiting the start of the 149th University Boat Race.’
- ‘The four or five mile an hour current pushed stake boats out of line and necessitated a drift-in start for the freshman race, which took up so much time that the program finished two hours late.’
- ‘During the warm up pieces the boat ‘somehow’ managed to lose its rudder, and hit a stationary stake boat, a disastrous warm-up was not part of the plan!’
- ‘Melting snow runoff caused the waters of the Schuylkill to move ferociously, leading race officials to remove the stake boats at the start of the 2000 meter race course.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.