One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Young Adam is based on a 1954 novel by Alexander Trocchi, the Glasgow-born writer affiliated to the Beats, whose life and work were very much a revolt against British insularity and staidness, and against Scotland itself.’
- ‘The nickname ‘Aunty’, adopted in the 1960s on the model of the BBC, captured both the suggestion of staidness, and the deep affection, which the organisation inspired in its listeners.’
- ‘The altered tenor of Kahlua ads of the mid-1970s reflects more than the general staidness that settled over advertising in the recessionary economy of the United States.’
- ‘One of the main criticisms of political access programmes in decades past was their staidness and conservatism.’
- ‘Indeed, Shiri's impassioned vocal performance clearly outstrips Lise's, with only a certain old-fashioned staidness of approach letting the song down.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.