One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The nickname ‘Aunty’, adopted in the 1960s on the model of the BBC, captured both the suggestion of staidness, and the deep affection, which the organisation inspired in its listeners.’
- ‘Indeed, Shiri's impassioned vocal performance clearly outstrips Lise's, with only a certain old-fashioned staidness of approach letting the song down.’
- ‘Young Adam is based on a 1954 novel by Alexander Trocchi, the Glasgow-born writer affiliated to the Beats, whose life and work were very much a revolt against British insularity and staidness, and against Scotland itself.’
- ‘The altered tenor of Kahlua ads of the mid-1970s reflects more than the general staidness that settled over advertising in the recessionary economy of the United States.’
- ‘One of the main criticisms of political access programmes in decades past was their staidness and conservatism.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.