One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A loud whisper uttered by an actor on stage, intended to be heard by the audience but supposedly unheard by other characters in the play.
whispered remark, confidential remarkView synonyms
- ‘Cohen's stately stage whisper, ‘Your story was so long / The plot was so intense ’, amplifies the aching loveliness of Robinson's chorus.’
- ‘The sounds that reached my ears were similar to stage whispers, these voices, however, were not meant to be heard but were quite audible nonetheless.’
- ‘James Amyett calmly lit a cigarette, leaned over, and in a stage whisper drawled, ‘Don't be alarmed, but somebody here is trying to kill us.’’
- ‘‘You were always so pretty,’ he stated in a stage whisper, the hall amplifying his words to tenuous, tinny heights.’
- ‘A strange tendency to deliver random lines in a hoarse and uncalled-for stage whisper notwithstanding, Houston is a very proficient actor.’
- ‘As the first notes started, a loud stage whisper from the bowels of the amphitheatre was heard to exclaim ‘This is the best bit!’’
- ‘Which just goes to show that Prabhu's managed to achieve the ‘Quality’ any good story teller would give his stage whisper for - he manages to make his audience sit back and think, even after the tape stops rolling.’
- ‘‘Omigosh,’ she croaked in a stage whisper, as the male protagonist made his first appearance, ‘he is going to like fall for her so-o-o hard.’’
- ‘Every few feet she gives a Southern-drawl stage whisper, ‘What is this?’’
- 1.1 Any loud whisper intended to be overheard.‘he translated for us in stage whispers’
- ‘Here Brown paused for effect, looked at the jury, then said in a stage whisper, ‘Why?’’
- ‘In a stage whisper that even Sam could hear over the tinny music for the politicians' float, she added, ‘He's blind.’’
- ‘You do know, she confided in a stage whisper above the caterwauling of my supposedly inconsolable daughter, that she stops crying the minute you leave.’
- ‘That's a soundbite,’ said the Channel 11 reporter to her producer in a stage whisper that was just too loud to be tactful.’
- ‘‘Impertinent as ever,’ my grandmother muttered under her breath in a stage whisper designed to carry across the room to where Gabriel and I sat.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.