One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A common room for teachers in a school or college.
- ‘When the schools opened last year both had different entrances, playgrounds, staffrooms and libraries.’
- ‘All the five new classrooms and a staffroom currently being roofed up are self-contained - with a lavatory, a library and a foyer for putting wheelchairs while the sick bay has a shower room as well.’
- ‘The atmosphere in the staffroom became much more reasonable and pleasant.’
- ‘Flexible working and part-time working is only available to those who can afford it - I couldn't and, when asking around the staffroom, none of the male teachers could.’
- ‘Someone has left a copy of the Daily Mail out in the staffroom, and I couldn't help but notice this front page headline.’
- ‘At lunchtime, Dad took me to the staffroom where the fussing over me increased dramatically.’
- ‘In fact, I was pretty sure that the latest romances were the major topics of the staffroom at recesses and lunchtime breaks.’
- ‘Even Mr West, the teacher who was supposed to be supervising, had popped out to the staffroom for a coffee.’
- ‘I had to send the class's assignments to the teacher's desk in the staffroom which is all the way in the other building.’
- ‘The extension consists of two new classrooms, a library/computer room, a new staffroom, learning support teacher's room and a state of the art gym.’
- ‘His ‘study’ of pupil behaviour will, at least, cause some laughter in staffrooms up and down Scotland, a response successive governments have failed to produce from our teachers.’
- ‘Any disunity in the staffroom could quickly transmit itself to the classroom and begin to affect the pupils.’
- ‘The flooding occurred after a heavy downpour at 5.30 pm last Thursday caused water to run off a tennis court at the back of the school and into the building leaving classrooms and staffrooms under several inches of water.’
- ‘If anyone asks where I'm going I'll say I have to pick up an assignment from the English staffroom, which is right next to the detention room.’
- ‘How can they check people when they are sitting in the staffroom chatting or doing paperwork?’
- ‘You know that the teachers go straight to the staffroom with the latest relationships.’
- ‘A special thank you is due to Finbarr Keohan and the staff of Abbeyside School for the use of their staffroom for the week.’
- ‘‘Pensions are discussed an awful lot in the staffroom because teaching is a very stressful occupation,’ she said.’
- ‘Classes are held in the staffroom, two classes are held in the entrance hall and the special needs class is held in the infants cloakroom.’
- ‘I have spoken to a number of people within the sector since the material was released and I am very pleased to hear that the research has been generating very positive discussions in staffrooms around the country.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.