Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A rank of non-commissioned officer in the army, above sergeant and below warrant officer.
- ‘He re-enlisted during World War II as a staff sergeant with the Army engineers.’
- ‘An armor staff sergeant is considered branch qualified after 18 months of successful tank commander time.’
- ‘The bridegroom is a staff sergeant assigned to Dewitt Army Community Hospital.’
- ‘They spent two days at the factory in Wales where the house was built, says retired Army staff sergeant Adrian, 57.’
- ‘During a weekend outing to Windsor Castle, Ruth met Wenclell Poore, a U.S. Army Air Corps staff sergeant.’
- ‘Morgan served more than 10 years in the Army and earned the rank of staff sergeant before leaving active duty in 1996 to pursue a musical career.’
- ‘He is retired infantry staff sergeant Donald Pringle, also known as Grandpa.’
- ‘He had been a staff sergeant during the tank landings on the second day of the D-Day invasion and fought his way through enemy fire to Belgium.’
- ‘For a staff sergeant in the U.S. Army, a chance to jog around the White House with any President would be an amazing experience.’
- ‘Son-in-law Rich is a staff sergeant with the 387th Army Reserve Unit.’
- ‘The Army announced on May 9 that single staff sergeants in stateside military installations will be allowed to live off post.’
- ‘Raised with horses, the staff sergeant worked with the horses of the Army's honor guard near Washington, the Caisson Unit of the 3rd Infantry Division.’
- ‘Besides holding down a full-time job as a Pentagon police officer, he is a staff sergeant in the Army Reserve with 20 years of military service.’
- ‘Typically commanded by a sergeant or staff sergeant, a squad or section is the smallest element in Army structure, and its size is dependent on its function.’
- ‘He served the U.S. Army in World War II as a staff sergeant in the European Theater.’
- ‘Pitsenbarger, a pararescueman, was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor and promoted to staff sergeant for treating and protecting scores of wounded infantrymen.’
- ‘James, 36. is a staff sergeant in the Army's food services division, which prepares meals for troops stationed at Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colorado.’
- ‘The bonus will be paid to soldiers between the ranks of specialist and staff sergeant with 17 months to 10 years in service.’
- ‘After his discharge as a staff sergeant, McGurn went on to a distinguished career in foreign reporting in the State Department and as communications director for the Supreme Court.’
- ‘During the time I was at the Infantry center we learned to do every squad leader's job, every machine gunner's job and every staff sergeant's job as well, if not better, than our own.’
- 1.1A rank of non-commissioned officer in the US air force, above airman and below technical sergeant.
- ‘Henry, 29, is a staff sergeant in the United States Air Force and as loyal a career soldier as you'll find.’
- ‘Special Agent Pearson's current class has several second lieutenants, a couple of senior airmen, a civilian, a master sergeant, a technical sergeant and a couple of staff sergeants.’
- ‘The staff sergeant submitted a fully documented request, supported by his trait, wing and NAF commanders.’
- ‘In this case, it's the promotion list to staff sergeant - something 32,000 promotion-eligible senior airmen are anxiously waiting to see.’
- ‘She'd just met with Candace Campbell-Rhodenizer and her husband, Gene, a staff sergeant with the 732nd Air Mobility Squadron, Elmendorf Air Force Base, Alaska.’
- ‘The Air Force also posthumously promoted him to staff sergeant.’
- ‘Pits was also posthumously promoted to staff sergeant in 2000, becoming the first U.S. Air Force noncommissioned officer to attain Medal of Honor status.’
- ‘This security forces staff sergeant from Elmendrof Air Force Base finds fraternity with Anchorage's brokers, truckers and teachers.’
- ‘After I joined the Air Force and was assigned to Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, Ariz., I was selected to serve as a summary court officer for a young staff sergeant killed in a traffic accident.’
- ‘Now 25 years old, Robert is an Air Force staff sergeant.’
- ‘Why would a new staff sergeant give up a soaring Air Force enlisted career?’
- ‘As a young airman or even now as a staff sergeant, I know that I could not have afforded to replace that $25,000 radio.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.