Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Notation by means of a stave, especially as distinct from the tonic sol-fa.
- ‘To accommodate their interest in Eastern music, Indu Mami transcribed Tyagaraja's songs into Western staff notation so that they could be ‘sight-read ‘by them.’’
- ‘It is also a good leaping off point for the teaching of staff notation, and again will produce relatively quick and recognisable results thus re-enforcing a sense of creativity and achievement.’
- ‘When a Benedictine monk named Guido d' Arezzo devised staff notation, forms of much greater complexity became possible, as did a language in which to analyze them.’
- ‘The Turin tablatures contain a similar range of music notated in new German keyboard tablature rather than staff notation, including transcriptions of motets and madrigals as well as idiomatic keyboard music.’
- ‘Celia Regan taught us to read music, staff notation and so on and gave us some tunes.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.