One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A dot or stroke above or below a note indicating that it is to be played staccato.
- ‘Here are some examples: A staccato mark under a tie usually means to hit the note with a bell-like tone.’
- ‘Since there are four notes that have staccato marks, we can use the ‘double’ staccato mark.’
- ‘If you add the slur first, and then the staccato mark, you will have to go back to the tool that you used to add the slur in order to move the slur's endpoint, which is slightly annoying.’
- ‘A dot might be a staccato mark above a note, or it may belong to a note to its left, in which case it alters that note's duration.’
- ‘Here he almost abandons the staccato marks, and also takes a very slow tempo.’
- ‘Notes that are both slurred and have staccato marks should be played with a light tongue, just grazing the tip of the reed with the tip of your tongue should be enough.’
- ‘The staccato mark is a small dot above or below the note head; this indicates the note is to be played short and abrupt.’
- ‘Thus, a half note with a staccato mark would be played as a quarter note, a quarter as an eighth, an eighth as a sixteenth, etc.’
- ‘He said that they are supposed to be played as though the staccato marks and the slurs are not there.’
- ‘We've got these two symbols, one is a staccato mark, the is called a staccatissimo mark.’
- ‘Do not confuse the staccato mark with the dots placed behind a note (like the dotted minims above).’
- ‘In spirit it is a lively march, and although at its first appearance it is quite subdued, the staccato marks relieve any uncertainty as to its meaning.’
- ‘The short horizontal line is located where a staccato mark would be placed under the note, except that it is a short line instead of a dot.’
- ‘The staccato marks are due to the composer.’
- ‘The staccato marks are displayed on the wrong side of the note.’
- ‘However, this phenomenon you are referring to is done frequently in Romantic music; look at the number of times Chopin has staccato marks while pedal is being used.’
- ‘The staccato marks in the Schirmer are misleading; the notes should probably not be played detached.’
- ‘Also I've never been real familiar with staccato marks under slurs (1st two measures of the second page).’
- ‘In his playing, every little accent and staccato mark is milked to emphasize each structural detail.’
- ‘Sighted musicians can absorb many pieces of stacked information - such as left- and right-hand piano parts - plus details like accents, staccato marks and phrases, all at a glance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.