One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
mass noun, usually as modifier A form of stroke-play golf in which points are awarded according to the number of strokes taken to complete each hole.‘a Stableford competition’
- ‘It will be an 18 Hole Stableford with a separate contest for Blacklion members.’
- ‘A Stableford competition was played over the South and East courses and this resulted in absolute confusion.’
- ‘Bangpra was the scene for another Stableford competition with twenty-three golfers taking to the course.’
- ‘It is four-man team Stableford with the best two Stableford scores on any one hole counting toward the team total.’
- ‘The tournament, organized in association with Pattaya Sports Club Golf, was a singles and team Stableford format.’
- ‘Teams of four compete, with the best two out of four Stableford scores counting towards the team total on every hole.’
- ‘The format included a cut after two days, those missing the cut going into a two day Stableford competition.’
- ‘Her forty-five Stableford points should ensure a further handicap drop to reward her steadily improving game.’
- ‘It was another gloomy Monday for golf but as we arrived at the course the rain stopped and a very pleasant Stableford competition was held.’
- ‘The golf competition is an 18 holes single Stableford and is open to all at a cost of E25 per person.’
- ‘Due to the generosity of a member who's chosen to remain anonymous, David took home a new golf bag for having the best Stableford total on the day.’
- ‘They are one of 12 pairs to have qualified to contest the 18-hole final being run on Stableford rules.’
- ‘He made a seven on the first hole and had seven Stableford points on the front nine.’
- ‘This Saturday the men's Stableford backmarker will be played with the ladies also playing a single stableford.’
- ‘Semi finals match play in combination with the Stableford competition will be held at Treasure Hills Golf Club.’
- ‘Also as usual the course provided an excellent venue for the format of the best two Stableford scores on each hole from the four man teams.’
- ‘The weekly Stableford competition was played over the Mountain and Lakes nines and the cut was at eighteen and under.’
- ‘The Rising Sun played their weekly Stableford competition at the immaculate Green Valley.’
- ‘This is a Stableford team golf tournament, with teams of 4, of which 2 players' scores will count on each hole.’
- ‘The pair scoring the highest combined Stableford points total will win a ‘match point’ for their team.’
Named after Frank B. Stableford (1870–1959), the American doctor who devised it.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.