One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
mass noun, usually as modifier A form of stroke-play golf in which points are awarded according to the number of strokes taken to complete each hole.‘a Stableford competition’
- ‘It was another gloomy Monday for golf but as we arrived at the course the rain stopped and a very pleasant Stableford competition was held.’
- ‘It will be an 18 Hole Stableford with a separate contest for Blacklion members.’
- ‘The golf competition is an 18 holes single Stableford and is open to all at a cost of E25 per person.’
- ‘A Stableford competition was played over the South and East courses and this resulted in absolute confusion.’
- ‘Teams of four compete, with the best two out of four Stableford scores counting towards the team total on every hole.’
- ‘The weekly Stableford competition was played over the Mountain and Lakes nines and the cut was at eighteen and under.’
- ‘Due to the generosity of a member who's chosen to remain anonymous, David took home a new golf bag for having the best Stableford total on the day.’
- ‘They are one of 12 pairs to have qualified to contest the 18-hole final being run on Stableford rules.’
- ‘The format included a cut after two days, those missing the cut going into a two day Stableford competition.’
- ‘Also as usual the course provided an excellent venue for the format of the best two Stableford scores on each hole from the four man teams.’
- ‘Bangpra was the scene for another Stableford competition with twenty-three golfers taking to the course.’
- ‘The tournament, organized in association with Pattaya Sports Club Golf, was a singles and team Stableford format.’
- ‘Her forty-five Stableford points should ensure a further handicap drop to reward her steadily improving game.’
- ‘It is four-man team Stableford with the best two Stableford scores on any one hole counting toward the team total.’
- ‘The pair scoring the highest combined Stableford points total will win a ‘match point’ for their team.’
- ‘The Rising Sun played their weekly Stableford competition at the immaculate Green Valley.’
- ‘This Saturday the men's Stableford backmarker will be played with the ladies also playing a single stableford.’
- ‘This is a Stableford team golf tournament, with teams of 4, of which 2 players' scores will count on each hole.’
- ‘Semi finals match play in combination with the Stableford competition will be held at Treasure Hills Golf Club.’
- ‘He made a seven on the first hole and had seven Stableford points on the front nine.’
Named after Frank B. Stableford (1870–1959), the American doctor who devised it.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.