Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bloodsucking fly related to the housefly, that bites large mammals including humans.
- ‘Whether house fly or stable fly, these annoying, filthy creatures make their presence known.’
- ‘Scientists from the University of Illinois recently identified two species of parasitic wasps that may prove useful in controlling stable flies and house flies, two well-known pests in the midwest United States.’
- ‘House flies, stable flies and blow flies may be pests of dairy cattle kept on lots.’
- ‘The bit of the stable fly is so painful that an infection can reduce milk yield by up to 25%.’
- ‘In Nebraska, where beef cattle are the top agricultural commodity with annual sales of $5.5 billion, stable flies are considered even worse pests than house flies.’
- ‘These wasps parasitize the pupal life stage of house flies and, less successfully, stable flies.’
- ‘You probably will recognize some of the suspects: horsefly/deer fly, stable fly, housefly, black fly, hornfly, face fly, culicoides, and mosquito.’
- ‘I have a problem with stable flies in my house.’
- ‘Removing weeds and brush within 150 feet of pens and spraying the shaded areas of buildings with a residual insecticide will help control stable flies.’
- ‘Once considered mainly a feedlot pest, the stable fly has extended its reign of terror to the open pasture and rangeland, areas where cattle once grazed virtually unharried by the bloodsucking insect.’
- ‘Now a group of German researchers have blamed stable flies for starting the HIV epidemic by biting the carcasses of infected chimpanzees in meat markets in central Africa before going on to feed on people.’
- ‘The active ingredient in Solitude IGR has been shown in multiple studies to be up to 100% effective against house and stable flies.’
- ‘For example, as suburban sprawl encroaches on farmland, people have more contact with both stable flies and house flies, creating conflict with livestock producers.’
- ‘House flies and stable flies are not only a nuisance on livestock and poultry farms, but they also transport disease-causing organisms.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.