Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A combined stabilizer and elevator at the tail of an aircraft.
- ‘If it's a stabilator, peek down inside the fuselage and/or tail cone and try to see the pivot point.’
- ‘On touchdown, I immediately applied the brakes and fed in a little back stick to raise the stabilators and increase the drag.’
- ‘The jet made one last, large, nose-down pitch with the stabilators moving full throw, and I was looking at a glare shield full of flight deck.’
- ‘A quick check of the flight-control system page revealed a single ‘X’ in channel 4 of the right stabilator.’
- ‘When hydraulic pressure was applied, the port horizontal stabilator shifted down, hit the ladder, and caused a five-inch hole in the leading edge of the stabilator.’
- ‘Our postflight walk-around showed a large burn on top of the vertical stabilator.’
- ‘The leading edge of my left outboard pylon dented the trailing edge of the adjacent jet's right stabilator.’
- ‘I now focused at my left DDI and confirmed my worst fears: mechanical reversion, with a total failure of the stabilators.’
- ‘The stab amp enables the stabilator, the horizontal airfoil at the tail of the helicopter, to operate properly.’
- ‘The horizontal tail was a single-unit stabilator rather than a conventional stabilizer plus a movable elevator.’
- ‘Pitch control employs an all-flying stabilator rather than the more conventional horizontal stabilizer and elevator.’
- ‘We had our airspeed back, the stabilator was functioning normally, and the aircraft was flying fine.’
- ‘A new folding tail and stabilator were added to ease shipboard use.’
- ‘Wet wings, Fowler flaps and an all-moving stabilator are some of the other innovations included on the Cardinal.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.