One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An annual flat horse race at Doncaster for three-year-olds, held in September.
- ‘Cumani reckons that his star three-year-old could be good enough to contest the St Leger at Doncaster in September.’
- ‘In September, the St Leger was a four-day race festival, with the classic race held on the final Saturday.’
- ‘And a tilt at the St Leger at Doncaster on September 13 could be on the cards for High Accolade after this two-length defeat of the previously unbeaten Delsarte.’
- ‘We can expect more spectator events with the world famous St Leger race meeting coming to the city in September.’
- ‘Sir Michael Stoute is poised to achieve a career milestone by winning his first St Leger with Alexius at Doncaster tomorrow - but is unlikely to be in Britain to witness the famous occasion.’
Named after Colonel Anthony St Leger (1731–86), who instituted the race in 1776.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.