One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A storage device containing non-volatile flash memory, used in place of a hard disk because of its much greater speed.‘a decent SSD offers arguably the biggest jump in performance for your general PC experience’
- ‘The 11-inch model has an SSD produced by Samsung while the 13-inch model has an SSD from Toshiba.’
- ‘While there's no question that an SSD can have one of the largest impacts of any upgrade in terms of how you use your PC, there have been relatively few new products hitting the market in the last nine months.’
- ‘There are very few applications that don't benefit from an SSD.’
- ‘2011 is going to be the year where everyone can and should have an SSD in their computer and notebook.’
- ‘The technology requires one SSD (with 18.6 GB-64 GB capacity) as well as one HDD.’
1980s: abbreviation of solid state drive or solid state disk.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.