Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small, highly manoeuvrable kayak.
- ‘Fiberglass, carbon and Kevlar are generally reserved for racing, competition and squirt boats.’
- ‘There are new squirt converts all the time, people are always seeking used squirt boats to test the waters in.’
- ‘The cross-section of a squirt boat is an upside-down wing that exerts downward forces instead of an upward lifting force.’
- ‘Speaking of slalom boats, they're halfway between ordinary river-running craft and squirt boats.’
- ‘Someone with a longer squirt boat could tap in for a better mystery.’
- ‘The ability to do mystery moves is what really differentiates squirt boats from plastic playboats.’
- ‘Rod tells of 30-second mystery moves in squirt boats during big water tours, boats being sucked into whirlpools created by potholes and ledges 100 feet below the surface.’
- ‘Unless one is partial to squirt boats, it is difficult to design a sea kayak that won't have enough room for more gear than any well-heeled paddler should own.’
- ‘Touring kayaks, tripping canoes, squirt boats, inflatables, and sit-on-tops are all just a few of the options out there.’
- ‘The Hellbender is a hard-chined squirt boat designed for paddlers with a 28-32’ inseam.’
- ‘Many of the older and more experienced guys I paddle with were into squirt boats in one form or another.’
- ‘I'd put a scuba tank in my squirt boat so I could stay down longer, but I barely have room for my legs!’
- ‘Cindy has been paddling for 20 + years in all kinds of boats including, whitewater kayaks, squirt boats, surf kayaks, sea kayaks and canoes.’
- ‘Recall it having the same discomfort level as the couple of times that I have tried squeezing into squirt boats.’
- ‘In the hands of an experienced paddler, the squirt boat twists, spins, and leaps with amazing agility.’
- ‘Most of the time squirt boats are for advanced paddlers and are built specifically for their body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.