One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large-eyed, chiefly nocturnal marine fish that is typically brightly coloured and lives around rocks or coral reefs in warm seas.
- ‘Soon I was looking at vivid red sponges in the overhangs at the base of the reef, along with peacock worms and the squirrelfish which have successfully invaded the eastern Mediterranean from the Red Sea via the Suez Canal.’
- ‘A squirrelfish peeks out from staghorn coral near Sand Key, Florida.’
- ‘Lobsters, moray eels and squirrelfish seek refuge in the artificial reef made up of PVC pipes.’
- ‘Bright red blue-lined squirrelfish loiter, thinking they're unseen, in every shadowy overhang, while even redder soldierfish stay well inside the caverns.’
- ‘Since gas bubbles increase sensitivity to sound, many ray-finned fish (e.g. herrings, elephantfishes and squirrelfishes) have modified gas bladders and swimbladders adjacent to the inner ear.’
- ‘We hovered for a while watching the sweepers being herded one way and then another by black grouper, squirrelfish and the occasional swooping jackfish.’
- ‘Fifteen minutes southeast of Boracay, Crocodile Island has a reef where divers can explore many small channels harbouring squirrelfish, soldierfish, cardinalfish and various wrasse.’
- ‘Holocentridae, generally known as squirrelfishes, consists of subfamilies Holocentrinae (squirrelfishes) and Myripristinae.’
- ‘We saw crabs, eels, batfish, unicornfish, pufferfish, boxfish, lionfish, squirrelfish, racoonfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish and angelfish, to name just a few.’
- ‘Richelieu also features numerous ledges, crevices and small caverns, providing shelter for squirrelfish, soldierfish, copper sweepers, and over twelve species of moray eels, including the rare golden moray.’
- ‘Most of what you see here are coral fish like various wrasses, squirrelfish, Moorish Idols, parrotfish, angelfish, surgeonfish and butterflyfish.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.