One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Squash or crush.
squash, squeeze, press, compressView synonyms
- ‘Imelda Redmond, chief executive of Carers UK, said there were more women trying to juggle responsibility for parents and children at the same time: ‘We call them the sandwich generation: they are being squidged from both ends.’’
- ‘Squeeze any water from the cracked wheat and mix into the meat, then squidge the mince into little patties about the size of a flattened golf ball.’
- ‘Or in the cinema when you can't even use your own armrest because he's spilt out all over it so you're sitting there trying to enjoy a film whilst being squidged.’
- ‘Add the flours and the salt, and squidge together with your hands until you have a soft, sticky dough.’
- ‘There was a decent enough plot struggling to breathe, but the desire to squidge it all into one forty-five minute blast made it feel inconsequential.’
- ‘I'd recommend sticking to paperbacks as not only are they lighter, but you can also squidge a few more into your bag.’
- ‘It does involve going to bed, but the idea is that you put on specially shaped contact lenses that sort of squidge your corneal topography so by the morning your eyes will focus without your needing glasses or contacts or anything.’
- ‘Now all I have to remember to do is to stop squidging the six-legged offenders in case they're carrying the precious payload back to the nest.’
- ‘If said perforation is behind the whole mass of roll, then you may have only the option to tug and hope, or squidge - and thus deform - the whole roll against the door or wall to enable the separation of sheets.’
- ‘Work is so high pressured that you need a bit of stress release, so you sit there and squidge some clay.’
- 1.1no object Make a squelching noise.
- ‘Under your feet it was just squidging underneath.’
- ‘As summer bled its long days into the shortening evenings of autumn, I'd tramp in reluctantly with feet squidging in wet runners.’
Late 19th century: perhaps imitative.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.