Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Completely clean.‘squeaky clean babies’
washed, scrubbed, cleansed, cleaned, polishedvirtuous, good, upright, upstandinginnocent, guiltless, blameless, clear, in the clear, not to blame, guilt-free, crime-free, above suspicion, unimpeachable, irreproachableView synonyms
- ‘‘Americans love that squeaky-clean feeling, but our bodies and faces can't handle it,’ she says.’
- ‘You've got plenty of time, and besides, your house is squeaky-clean already.’
- ‘Lusaka can take a leaf from smaller cities such as Windhoek whose authorities maintain spotlessly squeaky-clean streets.’
- ‘I was in Paris recently, and it's clear that French women believe their natural shine comes from having squeaky-clean, healthy skin.’
- ‘Alkaline is the cleaning agent in most shampoos that can dry out hair if you wash often, but it's also what gives your hair that squeaky-clean feeling.’
- 1.1Beyond reproach; without vice.‘politicians who are less than squeaky clean’
flawless, faultless, unblemished, spotless, stainless, untarnished, perfect, exemplary, ideal, modelView synonyms
- ‘His squeaky-clean morals even reach the money-hungry shareholders of his uncle's media conglomerate.’
- ‘His photographs sing at you from the wall with squeaky-clean, glossy brilliance and his models are a class above even the best Blue Peter efforts.’
- ‘Spielberg reproduces Abagnale's suspiciously squeaky-clean account that seems filtered of potential legal liability content.’
- ‘Add this to reports of £8000 bar bills in Germany and suddenly the squeaky-clean image ain't looking so clean.’
- ‘She was seen by most people as the squeakiest and cleanest of squeaky-clean pop stars.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.