One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loudspeaker, in particular one that is part of an intercom system.‘the President's address was being piped in over the squawk box on George's desk’
- ‘Some humorous fellow sent his voice over the squawk box in imitation of submarine noises and shouted, ‘Dive!’’
- ‘When a few more people had shown up, and there were twenty-five people in line, the door greeter - he's there to stop you stealing things - called on the squawk box for ‘all cashiers to come to the front.'’
- ‘It was not until later in the meeting, apparently, that Republican staffers realized the conversation was being broadcast over our ‘squawk boxes,’ at which point they began taping.’
- ‘‘Yeah, I'm up at base now,’ he announced into his squawk box as he surveyed the field of well-fortified tents.’
- ‘The squawk boxes mounted on the support poles didn't work, but everyone knew that so it wasn't a big deal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.