One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A loudspeaker, in particular one that is part of an intercom system.‘the President's address was being piped in over the squawk box on George's desk’
- ‘When a few more people had shown up, and there were twenty-five people in line, the door greeter - he's there to stop you stealing things - called on the squawk box for ‘all cashiers to come to the front.'’
- ‘‘Yeah, I'm up at base now,’ he announced into his squawk box as he surveyed the field of well-fortified tents.’
- ‘The squawk boxes mounted on the support poles didn't work, but everyone knew that so it wasn't a big deal.’
- ‘It was not until later in the meeting, apparently, that Republican staffers realized the conversation was being broadcast over our ‘squawk boxes,’ at which point they began taping.’
- ‘Some humorous fellow sent his voice over the squawk box in imitation of submarine noises and shouted, ‘Dive!’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.