Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for shackland
- ‘My name is Mngadi Mabankwe from plot 81 in the Princess squatter camp.’
- ‘Jammed between Vissershok and Caltex are Dunoon township and Doornbach squatter camp.’
- ‘On the eastern outskirts of the City of Bulawayo, on a derelict piece of land not far off the main Bulawayo-Harare Road, there stands a small squatter camp.’
- ‘The outbreak seems to have been triggered when one local authority started charging for the use of tap water in a squatter camp, forcing poor people in it to use nearby rivers for drinking water and sewage disposal.’
- ‘Actually, Freedom Park is no longer a squatter camp as most people usually refer to the settlement.’
- ‘And then, my neighbour's best friend took his rubbish to the dump - and was shot dead while driving past a squatter camp.’
- ‘But she's a single woman living in a squatter camp.’
- ‘They see an open space and build a squatter camp there, and then these mushroom.’
- ‘The township is a sprawling shanty town and squatter camp hidden by the bush.’
- ‘‘I don't know nothing about Aids, except that if I get it, it will kill me,’ says Nkwana as she washes her family's faded clothes outside their tiny shack in a dirty squatter camp in Ivory Park outside Johannesburg.’
- ‘Young said the action was motivated by revenge, as Kolisi and his brother had been involved in a dispute in 1995 over keeping pigs in the squatter camp.’
- ‘Martha Shopane from the squatter camp makes a simple point: ‘This place has been invaded by rodents.’’
- ‘The mother of the young victim, who lives in a nearby squatter camp, recalled the terrible evening when her daughter was afraid to disclose what had happened to her after receiving death threats from her attacker.’
- ‘Masiphumelele sprouted up in the early eighties as an unnamed squatter camp for unemployed Africans and those working for whites in Cape Town.’
- ‘Today I accompanied two Axis artists to a happening in a squalid squatter camp in downtown Johannesburg.’
- ‘Somehow he missed the pole and the car plummeted from the off ramp, landing nose first on the outskirts of a squatter camp.’
- ‘He revisits a squatter camp outside Johannesburg, interviews a traditional faith healer and meets patients and staff at a clinic in Rustenburg.’
- ‘This squatter camp is situated in the struggling heart of the Deep South.’
- ‘A school from a squatter camp in Soweto has beaten the odds to register one of the highest matric pass rates in the country.’
- ‘‘When there is a problem at a squatter camp, she is the first there,’ he adds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.