One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A fielding position level with the batsman approximately halfway towards the boundary on the leg side.
- ‘Umpire Peter Wright consulted with his colleague Mike George at square leg before sending a disappointed batsman on his way.’
- ‘The fifth-wicket pair were finally parted by a moment of carelessness, Sutton turning for a second after Bresnan misfielded at square leg, but the batsman could not beat Bresnan's throw to the wicketkeeper.’
- ‘Stuart Parkin, back from Australia, ran from deep square leg to mid-wicket to take a superb catch.’
- ‘After lunch, Marvan Atapattu swung the initiative toward Sri Lanka again with a sensational catch at deep square leg that saw the end of Cullinan at 38 runs.’
- ‘He should have completed a five-wicket haul when Lara, on 68, swept him to deep square leg where Makhaya Ntini got into perfect position but spilled the catch.’
- 1.1 A fielder at square leg.
- ‘Owens followed shortly after for 39, pulling a rank long hop into the hands of square leg, and Rob Walker also fell before the total was reached.’
- ‘As with his 50, Vaughan went to his century in the grand manner, sweeping Brown over square leg, but the next ball had him lbw as he pushed forward.’
- ‘Partnered by talented teenager Ravinder Bopara, Grant Flower continued at his leisurely pace until he pulled a short ball from Matthew Hoggard in front of square leg and was well caught low down by Michael Lumb.’
- ‘The first ball was directed over and beyond square leg.’
- ‘Later in the over he was fortunate to get away with a mistimed hook which lobbed over the head of square leg.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.